Sat, 5/19: 8:00 AM
- 12:00 PM
Professional Development Course
Pennsylvania Convention Center
Room: Room 108A
CM Credit Hours: 3.5
This PDC will review the key program elements that protect worker health inside confined spaces. In order to broaden audience knowledge, we will share experiences from managing confined spaces in the petrochemical, construction, and maritime industries. The course will begin with a regulatory review followed by topics such as fatalities, occupational exposures, and the key program control elements for managing confined spaces. A history and overview of ventilation controls used in confined spaces will be presented along with the typical challenges faced when installing ventilation systems. Case studies and team exercises will involve a review of ventilation systems and identification of work controls. Course attendees will be provided tools and checklists for use in the planning and field verification of confined space entry.
*Please note: Only participants registering for two (2) half-day PDCs on the same day will receive a box lunch.
** Please note: power strips will not be provided at each attendee's seat; however charging stations for laptops will be provided in each course room.
• Confined Space (CS) Definition
• CS Fatalities
• CS Sources of Exposure
• Confined Space Entry Program
• Exposure Case Studies / Team Exercises
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
• Describe the program elements and controls required to manage work inside a confined space.
• Analyze the work inside a confined space.
• Determine the ventilation and work practices for exposure controls.
• Communicate the health and safety risks when working in a confined space.
• Review ventilation systems for a confined space.
• Identify problems with confined space ventilation and provide improvement options.
Knowledge of OSHA, or similar, confined space standards in the types of work conducted in confined spaces will be helpful to attendees.
Participants will receive several checklists that address (a) review and design of confined space ventilation and (b) work controls for typical CS exposures.
Course Survey Link
Transfer of Knowledge
Hands-on demonstrations and practicum